REG 07.25.09 – Vehicular Access to Brick and Turf Areas

Authority: Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration

History: First Issued: December 7, 2000. Last Revised: December 17, 2013.

Additional References:
Facilities Operations Website

Contact Info: Facilities Operations Director


1.  Purpose

To reduce damage caused by vehicles/equipment to brick and turf areas.

2.  Intent

To reduce damage to brick and turf areas, to ensure the correct use of bollards and to ensure proper permitting of both on-campus and off-campus vehicles.

3.  Brick and Turf Permit Procedure

3.1 General Information: Brick Permits and Bollard keys can be obtained from Grounds and Fleet Services, 620 Motor Pool Street, Sullivan Shops III, between 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.  For information, contact 919-515-9869.

3.2 General Responsibilities:  Bridging materials and/or ¾” plywood should be utilized to protect the brick and turf surfaces.  Materials are available for loan to University departments from Grounds and Fleet Services.  Contractors must provide bridging materials per project specifications.  Brick permits must be prominently displayed on the vehicle dashboard.

3.3 Campus Organizations:  On-campus organizations can obtain a brick permit for circumstances which require vehicular access to brick and turf areas.  Events must first be registered through the SORC office prior to brick permits being issued.  Permits will be issued for a set period of time and are not to be utilized as parking permits.

3.4 Contractors:  Contractors can obtain a brick permit for circumstances which require vehicular access to brick and turf areas.  Contractors must first obtain a parking pass from Transportation for the duration of their stay on campus.  Brick Permits will not be issued without proof of valid parking permit and a copy of the project work order.  Short and long-term parking permits can be obtained through Transportation.  Brick and Turf permits will be issued for a set period of time and should be used for loading and unloading purposes only.  Valid permit must be displayed on vehicle dashboard at all times.  Contractors are responsible for physical damage to brick and turf and for any hazardous material spills and leaks.

3.5 University Owned Vehicles:  University owned vehicles may access brick and turf areas without obtaining a Brick and Turf Permit; however, University owned vehicles must adhere to all other aspects of the Parking and Transportation Ordinance (NCSU REG 07.60.01) and Vehicular Access to Brick and Turf Areas (NCSU REG 07.25.09) when accessing brick and turf areas.  Brick and turf areas should be utilized for loading and unloading and emergency response only.  Service vehicles should utilize SV spots as first priority whenever possible.  Proper use of bridging materials and plywood is required.

3.6 Emergency Situations:  Brick and Turf Permits will not be required in the event of a campus emergency.  Any citations received while responding to an emergency should be submitted to Transportation for review.

4. Key Use and Procedures

4.1 Obtaining a Bollard Key:  In some cases, brick and turf areas are blocked by bollards and require a key for access.  Bollard keys can be checked out in conjunction with obtaining a Brick and Turf Permit.  Bollard keys must be returned prior to 5:00 p.m. on the day issued.  Keys needed for after-hours work must be returned prior to the start of the next work day.  Long-term construction project keys may be issued though the Lock Shop as a part of the scope of work of the project.  Keys needed for weekend work must be checked out prior to 3:00 p.m. on Friday.  In the event of an emergency, the University Steam Plant has keys which can be loaned after hours.  Lost keys will result in a $200.00 charge and continued misuse or abuse may result in loss of privileges.

4.2 Responsibilities:  When accessing bollard areas the bollards must be returned to their locked and upright position upon entering and exiting the area.  Failure to comply with these requirements may result in the loss of bollard key privileges.

For assistance or information, call Grounds Management at 919-515-9869.