REG 02.05.04 - Withdrawal from the University

Authority: Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor

History: First Issued: 1966. Last Revised: 1996.

Related Policies: 
NCSU RUL02.66.02 - Registration Cancellation

Additional References: 
Refund of Tuition and Fees
Counseling Center Forms

Contact Info: Director of Counseling Center (919-515-2423)

1.  Students who wish to drop all the courses for which they are registered must withdraw from the University for the remainder of the semester or summer session in which they are enrolled. Students who have registered and prepaid are considered to be registered and must be officially withdrawn, unless they have notified the University prior to the beginning of the first day of classes that they wish to have their registration canceled.(See NCSU RUL02.66.02 - Registration Cancellation and Refund of Tuition and Fees from the Cashier's Office).

The procedure for withdrawing is different in several ways from the procedure for dropping one or some courses but not all. First, the procedure is not initiated in the academic department or college. Second, a Schedule Revision Form is not used. Third, it is highly recommended, but not required, that students considering withdrawal consult their faculty adviser or departmental coordinator of advising. The withdrawal process is as follows:

1.1. Degree candidates and Unclassified students initiate the official withdrawal process with the Counseling Center, Student Health Center, 919-515-2423. Parental approval to withdraw may be required for single students who are under eighteen.

1.2. Lifelong Education students contact the Office of Adult Credit Programs & Summer Sessions, Registration Desk, McKimmon Center, 919-515-2265.

1.3. NCSU students carrying course work at another campus under the interinstitutional arrangement must contact the Department of Registration and Records, 1008 Harris Hall, 919-515-2577, to initiate the paperwork necessary for removal from the class roll at the other institution.

1.4. Students visiting from other institutions who are registered for NCSU course work under the Interinstitutional arrangement must initiate withdrawal on their home campus and contact the NCSU Department of Registration and Records.

2. Withdrawal After the Last Day of the Official Drop Period

It is considered that after the last day of the official drop period a student has become a partner in an implied contract with the University to continue until the end of the semester. Therefore, withdrawals without academic penalty are granted by the University only when exceptional circumstances exist.

Undergraduate and graduate degree students may receive late withdrawals through the Counseling Center under three conditions:

2.1. Certification by an appropriate medical professional of serious disruption in academic functioning for medical reasons. Such medical petitions are subject to review by a University physician and by the Counseling Center.

2.2. Certification by the Counseling Center of serious disruption in academic functioning because of an emotional problem or crisis. It is important to verify that (a) there has been a significant decrease in the student's usual level of psychological functioning and (b) that regaining that previous level of functioning will involve a process of sufficient academic disruption to make continuing as a student unreasonable. In this case a "hold" may often be placed on the student's readmission pending certification by the Counseling Center and/or independent psychologist/psychiatrist that the student has regained and can be expected to maintain that usual level of psychological competence.

2.3. Verification by the office of the student's college dean that a decision has been reached in accordance with that college's policies and procedures that a documented hardship of any kind which, responsibly handled, resulted in it being unreasonable to insist that the student continue. The hardship should normally have been reasonably unforeseeable.

Courses for which students are officially enrolled are recorded on the transcript without grades or grade points but with a notation of "W" to indicate approval to withdraw after the withdrawal deadline.