Authority: Vice Chancellor and Dean for Academic and Student Affairs (DASA)
History: First Issued: July 15, 2010.
UNC Code, Appendix I, Section XII
Contact Info: University Housing (919-515-2440)
1. A “visitor” is defined as a guest, present in a particular residence hall or residence hall room with the consent of a hosting resident of that hall or room.
2. Anyone entering or leaving a residence hall must comply with the identification process established by University Housing. While in a residence hall in which he or she does not reside, a visitor must be escorted by the hosting resident at all times. Residents are responsible for insuring that visitors comply with all residence hall policies and will be held accountable for the behavior of their guests. Guests are expected to conduct themselves in a considerate manner with regard to the rights and needs of roommates and other residents. Visitors may be hosted in designated common areas at any time.
3. Twenty-four Hour Visitation Halls – Twenty-four hour visitation will be allowed in selected halls/areas as designated by University Housing and may be periodically revised. Visitation as an overnight guest in these halls will be allowed only if the resident’s roommate has no objection.
4. Limited Visitation Halls – In all other residence halls/areas, visitation shall not exceed 9 a.m. to 1 a.m., Sunday through Thursday, or 9 a.m. to 2 a.m. Friday through Saturday. Residents of these halls may permit a visitor of the same sex to remain in the hall as an overnight guest only if that resident’s roommate has no objection.
5. No visitors in either category may be an overnight guest for more than three consecutive nights or for more than ten nights total during the academic year.
6. All University Housing marketing materials will clearly identify which halls/areas will allow 24 hour visitation rights and which remain with limited hours.