Authority: Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
History: First Issued: May 10, 2016. Last Revised: February 24, 2017.
UNC Policy 400.3.3 – Performance Review of Tenured Faculty
NCSU POL05.20.01 – Appointment, Reappointment, Promotion and Permanent Tenure
NCSU REG05.20.04 – Post Tenure Review of Faculty
NCSU REG05.20.27 – Statement of Faculty Responsibilities
NCSU REG05.20.10 – Evaluation of Teaching
This rule describes the Department of Agricultural and Human Sciences standards and procedures for post tenure review of faculty. It is supplemental to and consistent with the NC State University Appointment, Reappointment, Promotion and Permanent Tenure and Regulation on Post Tenure Review of Faculty. To the extent of any inconsistency, the Appointment, Reappointment, Promotion and Permanent Tenure and Post Tenure Review Regulation control. The Department Head is responsible for assuring that the procedures as set forth in NCSU REG05.20.04 – Post Tenure Review of Faculty and this Rule are followed.
2.1 Post Tenure Review Committee (PTRC) Selection
The PTRC will be a standing committee comprised of all tenured professors in the department.
2.2 Report to Department Head
The PTRC will deliver a written assessment to the Department Head following the procedures outlined in NCSU REG05.20.04 – Post Tenure Review of Faculty.
2.3 Departmental Post Tenure Review Schedule
Announcement of schedule by the Department Head.
- October — Department Head notifies all faculty to be reviewed during that academic year and requests they begin preparation of their packet
- October — PTRC is notified by the Department Head
- January — PTRC convenes and elects a Chair
- March 1– Review packets are due to PTRC
- March — PTRC meets and assesses packets
- March 30 — Department Head receives written report from PTRC
- April 15 — Department Head communicates results of the PTRC assessment to the reviewed faculty. Upon receipt of the written PTRC assessment from the Department Head, the faculty member under review will document receipt by signature
- April 30 — Department Head provides the Dean with PTRC assessment
- May-June – College PTR committee convened if needed
3. DOCUMENTATION PROVIDED TO THE PTRC
- Current curriculum vitae, including publication list
- Current Statement of Faculty Responsibilities
- Faculty Statement (not to exceed 3 pages)
- Copies of all Faculty Activity Reports covering the full review period
- Student course evaluations for credit classes taught during the review period (when applicable). Results of any peer reviews of teaching during the review period (when applicable)
- Results of extension program evaluations from the review period (when applicable)
- Any additional information deemed pertinent by the faculty member and / or the Department Head, which will also be shared with the faculty member under review
4. PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
4.1 Standards for Meeting Expectations
For a faculty member to receive a “meets expectations” they need to perform at an acceptable level as defined in their Statement of Faculty Responsibilities.
4.2 Standards for Exceeding Expectations
The faculty in the department perform at an exceptionally high level and it is expected that a faculty member will be at the top of their field. For a faculty member to “exceed expectations” they would need to win a top internationally known award or other similar level of achievement. The recommendation and use of “exceeds” expectations will be reserved for only the most exceptional performance.