Authority: Vice Chancellor, Finance and Administration
History: First Issued: November 30, 2001. Last Revised: January 24, 2017.
Contact Info: Purchasing Director (919-515-2171)
The Purchase Card (PCard) program is administered by the Purchasing Department and PCard accounts are issued for university business purchases only.
2. OVERVIEW OF THE PURCHASING CARD PROGRAM
The NC State University Purchasing Card (PCard) is a standard credit card with corporate liability. The primary purposes are:
- To pay for business related goods and services purchased on behalf of the University.
- To facilitate rapid payment of low dollar goods and services purchased within the guidelines of the University Procurement Policy.
- To reduce costs and process steps associated with traditional procurement.
3. AUTHORIZED USERS
PCards will be issued to NC State employees who are authorized by the cardholder’s supervisor to pay for business related goods and services purchased on behalf of the University. The name of the University and the cardholder will appear on the face of the card. The cardholder is the only person authorized to make purchases using the card.
4. ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The roles and responsibilities of the PCard cardholder, reconciler, statement approver and central office administrator are defined in the PCard Program Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) document (add web page link).
5. SPENDING LIMITS AND GUIDELINES
- Spending limits per transaction are defined by the Division of Purchase & Contract in contract number 946A.
- All purchases shall be made in accordance with applicable NC State University purchasing policy: http://policies.ncsu.edu/page/basic-procurement-guidelines.
- All purchases shall adhere to the NC State University Spending Guidelines: https://controller.ofa.ncsu.edu/files/2014/06/Spending_Guidelines.pdf
6. INACTIVE ACCOUNTS
To protect the security of the cardholder data, any PCard account that has not been used for six (6) months may be placed on spending hold or canceled.
7. DISPUTED TRANSACTIONS
Purchases appearing on the monthly statement from the bank may be disputed up to thirty days from the date of the statement. It is the PCard holder’s responsibility to identify and dispute erroneous charges prior to the thirty day limitation.
8. MONTHLY ACCOUNT STATEMENT SUBMISSION
The cardholder is responsible for obtaining itemized receipts with pricing for every transaction that appears on the monthly account statement. Two distinct authorized approvals are required to finalize the statement. Statement approval including all documentation should be completed by the dates published on the billing cycle calendar.
9. LATE AND INCOMPLETE STATEMENTS
Any cardholder account with activity during a billing cycle must submit an approved statement by the published deadline. Statements not approved and finalized by the published deadline will be considered late and may be placed on spending hold.
10. INTENTIONAL MISUSE
The PCard is issued for University business purchases only. Any intentional misuse of the PCard is grounds for cancellation of the account. The cardholder’s supervisor and the Department Head, in consultation with Human Resources, are responsible for taking appropriate action consistent with applicable personnel policies. Pursuant to Section 143-58.1 of the General Statutes, it shall be unlawful for any person to purchase, attempt to purchase, procure or attempt to procure any property or services for private use or benefit, with such violation constituting a Class 1 Misdemeanor. Penalties for violations of the General Statutes, North Carolina Administrative Code, and Purchase & Contract Procedures may include termination of employment, fines, and imprisonment.